....the Friends of the Library have their used book sale. While we were homeschooling, especially in the beginning, we haunted these things with regularity, sniffing out the "old" books that no one else wanted. (We also regularly attended the AAUW's annual book sale.) You could always tell the homeschoolers--they were lugging around teetering piles of books, and sending random children out to the cars to deposit the treasures found "so far."
For the past several go rounds, I have stayed virtuously away from these sales--used books being like crack cocaine to me.
Well, I was just gonna look on Friday afternoon. I wasn't gonna actually buy anything. You know, just sniff around a bit, run my fingers down the spines of the books, heft a few. Then I was just gonna put 'em down. I promise I was.
OK, I only spent $6.49, bringing home only six volumes. But the half price sale is tomorrow afternoon, and I could just run by (run buy?)....
Anyway, here's the damage so far:
1. An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden
2. Lost Horizon; Good-bye, Mr. Chips; Random Harvest by James Hilton
3. The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald
4. A volume containing five complete Agatha Christie novels: The Mirror Crack'd, A Caribbean Mystery, Nemesis, What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! and The Body in the Library
5. A volume containing five complete Dashiell Hammett novels: Red Harvest, The Dain Curse, The Maltese Falcon, The Glass Key, and The Thin Man
6. At Play in the Fields of the Lord by Peter Mathiessen
Like I need to try to find space for more books on my shelves! I thought I was trying to SIMPLIFY my life and not add more stuff! Yikes!